Thursday, June 5, 2008

Finally getting back for updates

So much has happened that I hardly know where to begin. I will break this into several parts and post them over the next few days so that the posts don’t get too long.

As I mentioned in my last post (I can’t believe how long ago that was!), I recently finished up something that I have been working towards for a long time… that being a Master’s degree. With that finally behind me, my workload and outside activities and requirements will now drop drastically. I should be able to concentrate on getting back to enjoying life, and especially being my wife’s housewife.

To celebrate this milestone, I wanted to invite friends and family to gather in festivity and drink. We decided to break this into two parties; one for dear friends and one for family. Of course that meant several days of preparation on my part… cleaning the house, sprucing up the yard, planning menus, and food preparation. I didn’t care about the amount of work because I was finally done with classes and writing papers.

So let’s start with the cleaning… Believe it or not, I really like to clean. It relaxes me for some reason. I guess that it is the ability to actually see the finished results in the work. I like being able to see everything looking nice after hours of scrubbing and polishing. With that in mind, I had planned on two days of uninterrupted work time to get the house back into shape, something it desperately needed since I had been neglecting it terribly over the final weeks of school. But of course, around here nothing goes as I had hoped.

I was a few hours into housework, down on my hands and knees scrubbing the kitchen floor, when I hear a knock at the door. Before I could get up or even call out, the door opened and in walked Linda’s sister and mother.

I guess that I should mentioned at this point that since I hadn’t been able to enjoy my cleaning activities in some time, that I had decided to really get into it by dressing in my black cleaning maid’s uniform, complete with padded bra, hose, high heels, wig and make-up. In other words, I had taken on my Beverly persona with gusto. I never thought anyone would be dropping in unannounced, so their arrival and entry really caught me off-guard. They, however, did not look fazed by my appearance in the least. Looking back, I wonder if they had been tipped off and that I had been set up. Julie did not look surprised at all. She had seen me in the dress before, but not in make-up and wig. However, my mother-in-law had never seen me anywhere near this feminine, only in an apron on a few occasions. But she also did not look surprised and gave me a big smile when she saw me. So there I was, on the floor with my sponge and mop bucket, no where to run or hide.

“Don’t get up. We just wanted to stop by and see if you needed anything. It looks like you have the cleaning well in hand,” Julie said.

It was decided that since I was just about finished with the kitchen floor that I should go ahead and finish and then take a break with them. So for the next five minutes, I scrubbed while they watched, both commenting that they couldn’t remember when they last got down on the floor to clean. When I finished we all sat at the dining room table. Since the kitchen floor was wet I couldn’t offer them anything in the way of refreshment and apologized for the lack of hospitality on my part. They understood fully, and just sat and talked freely, all the while me sitting there in drag like it was totally natural. After 30 minutes, they decided that it was time to leave. Each of them gave me a hug and kiss on the cheek before leaving. Nothing else was said about my appearance. They asked what they could bring to the party, then departed.

After they left I just stood there in a daze. I couldn’t believe what had just happened and how casual they had been. Had it reached the point that my appearing so feminine was expected and accepted? What did this mean for my future? And how was this going to affect the party?

No comments: